Thursday, October 23, 2014

"Cowboy to the Rescue" by Louise M. Gouge

About the Book

Captivated by the cowboy 

Though Georgia belle Susanna Anders agrees to accompany her father on a silver prospecting trip to Colorado, her heart belongs to the South. Then charming cowboy Nate Northam saves her father's life and gives them shelter at his ranch. Feeling gratitude is only natural, but falling for a Yankee? Both of their families would be outraged.

While Susanna's father recovers at the Northams' home, Nate can't help being drawn to the sweet Southern beauty…and wishing he were free to think of courtship. That is until shocking revelations compel both Nate and Susanna to choose where their loyalties lie—fettered to the past or to the promise of a bold new love….

Four Stones Ranch: Love finds a home out West

My Review

“Cowboy to the Rescue” by Louise M. Gouge is the first book in the series 'Four Stones Ranch' and what a great start to the series. I have to be honest I normally just put my name down on the waiting list for each new Love Inspired book at my local library, without reading what they are about until I get them in my hand. Well when I read the back of the book, it didn't sound that interesting so I waited until I had to return the book to read it. Oh boy what a fool I was for I waited for almost three weeks to read this fantastic book.

The back of the book may hint at the conflict of the story but man if anything it is only a hint for when the conflict was fully known it sure took me back for it was one very clever twist to the story. Within the synopsis on the back one might be able to tell that there is still those prejudices in regards to Southerners and Northerners, which are bold in this book, and watching the overcoming of those prejudices, guilt and other feelings associated with the war was something special that is for sure. This story didn't just brush over some of the horrors of that war, but told one story (true or not I am sure it could have happened somewhere along the line of the war) that had some of the horrors to it. War is never pleasant or easy and I was glad to see that it was not just brushed over either, though really the story is not that graphic or horrific to where I found myself uncomfortable.

Southern belle Susanna is a young woman who is determined to fulfill her promise which means she goes where she really doesn't want to go, with plans to return home at some point in time. She is not afraid of hard work in the slightest, and when taken by surprise by things, she learns to roll with the flow and give back when it is appropriate. There are things that she learns through the story but she is also a woman who is not about to spout off everything she is thinking, but will speak her mind when it is needed.

Northerner Nate is a man who is Godly and so thoughtful of others. Here is a man when he came upon Susanna and her father, he was thoughtful enough to think about where the best place was for him to recover and where they would be the most comfortable. Nate is also a man who knows what some of his flaws are and that he needs to work on them. Throughout the story Nate seems to walking this very fine line between several people, one that has some interesting twists and turns. Nate is not afraid of doing what must be done even if that means going up against someone who means the world to him.

This story is a great start to the rest of the series for personally I loved seeing Rand, Rosamond and Tolley for we get a good glimpse into who they are and a bit of their personalities. I am assuming that since the series is 'Four Stones Ranch' that the future books are going to be around the rest of the siblings, which means we will be able to watch the younger siblings grow and mature.

As I said earlier there are numerous prejudices in regards to the North and the South that are dealt with, but also there are a few others that come up at least that society has at the time. I loved how love overcame so many hurdles for so many, how when the truth is revealed there is healing for so many and friendship, not mention love, was completely blind at times. Forgiveness and healing is a big part of the story as well and it is one of those sweet moments when a choice needs to be made and there is no clear end result from the story point of view at the moment until it is made. I have to say that is what made this book so wonderful for though things should be clear cut nothing really is. There are numerous twists and turns in the book that made me regret having to put it down so I can get some sleep, then first thing I picked up the book needing to finish it.

I really hope all who read this book enjoys it as much as I did and don't allow the back make anyone think it is not worth reading for it really is.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment