Wednesday, September 2, 2015

“With Every Letter” by Sarah Sundin

About the Book


They know everything about each other--except their real names

Lt. Mellie Blake is looking forward to beginning her training as a flight nurse. She is not looking forward to writing a letter to a man she's never met--even if it is anonymous and part of a morale-building program. Lt. Tom MacGilliver, an officer stationed in North Africa, welcomes the idea of an anonymous correspondence--he's been trying to escape his infamous name for years.

As their letters crisscross the Atlantic, Tom and Mellie develop a unique friendship despite not knowing the other's true identity. When both are transferred to Algeria, the two are poised to meet face-to-face for the first time. Will they overcome their fears and reveal who they are, or will their future be held hostage by their pasts?

 
  

 
 
This book was released in September 2012
This is a book is from my personal Kindle collection 

 

My Review

“With Every Letter” by Sarah Sundin is the first book in her 'Wings of the Nightingale' series.

This is a full length novel that is set during World War II.  Now this is the first full length novel that I have read during that time period for I really wanted to see if I was going to enjoy an era that I have always avoided before.  I have read only a few Heartsong Presents, and for those who don't read them they are books with only about 170 to 180 pages, that opened my eyes to the whole time period in the first place.  This book really sealed the deal and I need to stop avoiding time periods for apparently I will enjoy the book.

Honestly this book at first was hard to get into.  Finally at around page 170 things turned around and it became a really good book that I just couldn't put down.  I have to wonder if those first 170 or so pages where used to help set up the rest of the series.  It was hard to get into because it was just slow and at times it seemed as if there was too many details that just bogged down the story.  Actually the too many details was something I found throughout the whole book but once it picked up speed it didn't matter much any more.

I usually try to describe the characters but honestly I can't do that with this book for both Tom and Mellie change so much through the story that if I was to describe them then I would be giving away so much.  I just couldn't take away anything for really the changes that they go through really is what makes the store.  The way they supported each other was beautiful and so tender.  The way open up and help each other is also  what helped make the whole story so wonderful.

This is a book that is set basically in the middle of the war, and that is not glossed over by not talking about what is going on.  I am a person who can't abide by gruesome details of death, shooting, and violence, so with that said, I would like to say that this is a book that shows war is going on around them.  There are scenes of battle, scenes of death, scenes of injuries, but they are not so graphic that I couldn't read them.  I would allow my friends tween daughter read this book because this doesn't glorify war, but it doesn't show the worse of it.  So though I say I found at times the book had too many details, when it came to the worse part of war, there was this balance of just enough for the reader to understand what is happening without getting into the details that would be too graphic.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series, and I hope all who pick up this book enjoys it at much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment