Friday, September 19, 2014

"A Mother for His Chidlren" by Jan Drexler

About the Book

FROM AMISH NANNY TO BRIDE?

After her sweetheart's betrayal, Ruthy Mummert leaves behind the small-town gossip of her Amish community for the first opportunity she can find: a housekeeper position in faraway LaGrange County, Indiana. Ruthy didn't realize the job meant caring for ten children—and for their handsome widowed father.

To Levi Zook's mind, Ruthy is too young and too pretty to be anyone's housekeeper. A marriage of convenience will protect her reputation and give his children the security they dearly need. But it could also give them the courage to grasp a new chance at happiness—if Ruthy is willing to risk her wounded heart once more.



This book was released in August 2014
This was a well loved library book that was reviewed


My Review of "A Mother for His Children"
 
“A Mother for His Children” by Jan Drexler is a book that I was hoping for since I read “The Prodigal Son Returns” where Levi was introduced, and for some reason I was dying to know his story and see how he could have a happy ending.

This book is one of those books that normally I wouldn't read for a couple of reasons, one – the story is taking place in a time period, 1937, that frankly I don't care for, which is anytime from WWI up to the turn of the century and two – because I don't really like historical Amish stories. However, after reading “The Prodigal Son Returns” which is the same time period and subject, I had to read this book for I really became attached to Levi from that book. So now everyone knows why I wouldn't normally have read a book like this, let me say that I really enjoyed the book and really hope that we see more of the characters in the future if possible.

The word 'mis-communication' is a real understatement from the moment Levi Zook and Ruthy Mummert meet each other. The beginning of the book is a cute and humorous way to start off the story and it finished in such a sweet and tender way. There are moments in the story where things don't seem to be moving all that fast, but there is always forward movement in the story. Then when you least expect it there are several twists and turns that take place. I found myself unable to put down the book and thoroughly enjoyed the hours that my nose was buried in this book.

As I said I wanted to know more about Levi since I read about him in “The Prodigal Son Returns”. Here is a man who seems so stoic but determined to do what is right, but there is so much more to him, that we get to see as things move forward. He is determined to do what he must in order take care of his family, even hiring a housekeeper. Also Levi is a man who is only wanting to do what is right in the eyes of God and honorable, but not always able to say what he is thinking.

Ruthy is a young woman who is running from her past, and it is understandable, at least to me, as her story comes out. Once her story comes out, things start to make sense with why she feels the way she does. Though Ruthy is young she knows what she is doing when it comes to dealing with children and a household, and isn't afraid to do what is needed, even if that means stepping on other people's toes. It is her soft and tender heart that she has for others that shines through which makes it easy to forget her age. She may get angry quick enough but she knows how to laugh just as fast if not faster.

At first I couldn't see how this sweet hurting girl could ever find anything to like let alone love in this stoic man, but I was glad for the ride I was taken on that showed how wrong I was. I knew it was going to happen, after all it is a romance book, but when I started I just couldn't imagine how it was going to happen for they just seemed so different. Things didn't always go smoothly and there is enough tension at times with other characters having to have their say, that just really helped kept me reading.

The message of forgiveness is such a huge part of the story and what happens when one doesn't always forgive and how it feels about when one does forgive.  Forgiveness is not always easy and I so enjoy when a character struggles with forgiving another for it shows how hard it can be sometimes, and the harder the struggle, the more I understand the character.

I also really enjoyed the way the story of the "Prodigal Son" was incorporated into the story.  I found that scene to be so touching and powerful, and lasted with me through the whole book. 

I hope all who read this book enjoys it as much as I did.

 

 Other Books Connected to "A Mother for His Children" written by Jan Drexler

The Prodigal Son Returns


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment