Monday, September 7, 2015

“A Worthy Pursuit” by Karen Witemeyer

About the Book
 
 
A teacher on the run. A bounty hunter in pursuit. Can two enemies learn to trust each other before they both lose what they hold most dear?

Stone Hammond is the best tracker in Texas. He never comes home empty-handed. So when a wealthy railroad investor hires him to find his abducted granddaughter, Stone eagerly accepts.

Charlotte Atherton, former headmistress of Sullivan's Academy for Exceptional Youths, will do anything to keep her charges safe, especially the orphaned girl entrusted to her care. Charlotte promised Lily's mother she'd keep the girl away from her unscrupulous grandfather, and nothing will stop Charlotte from fulfilling that pledge. Not even the handsome bounty hunter with surprisingly honest eyes who comes looking for them.

When Miss Atherton produces documentation that shows her to be Lily's legal guardian, Stone must reevaluate everything he's been led to believe. Is she villain or victim?

Then a new danger forces Charlotte to trust the man sent to destroy her. Stone vows to protect what he once sought to tear apart. Besides, he's ready to start a new pursuit: winning Charlotte's heart.
 
 

This book was published in May 2015
This was a well loved library book that was used to review



My Review

“A Worthy Pursuit” by Karen Witemeyer is another smash hit with this reader. I had to make time and hold off a couple of days after getting the book from the library to ensure that I would have the entire afternoon to focus on getting lost in the book.  Ms. Witemeyer is an author that I always have to make sure that I can read her books in one sitting for I just can't but them down.  After finally being able to enjoy the book I honestly wish I could have found the time sooner but too many obligations took place. I am so glad I got to enjoy the book finally for it was so worth the read.

From the start of the book it was almost as if I was standing at the edge of the cliff and it wasn't long before someone pushed me over the edge. As I was falling it was as if every so often there is this offer of respite from the fall before it was free falling again. It was pure excitement with only moments of catching one's breathe before the excitement picked up again.

Then chemistry between Stone and Charlotte is something that is so tangible that it it thick enough to be cut with a sharp knife. Frankly I was waiting for that first kiss thinking it was going to come out of one of the many toe-to-toe confrontations between Stone and Charlotte, but that first kiss was something I didn't seem coming and wow was it steamy. I am not talking about the kiss being something demeaning or dirty but really it was something that just so toe curling even for the reader that it was worth the wait and suspense for, at least in my opinion.

We get a pretty good idea who the villain of the story is from very early on, but once the reasons behind the villain is out, the reader can only guess that things are going to get pretty dicey. I didn't think they were going to get like they did but wow what a story of excitement. Then to hear why is just disturbing I guess is the word I want to describe the villain.

Charlotte is a woman who is willing to do what ever she must do in order to protect her charges but there is something else about her. She takes things into consideration fairly quickly then weighs her options. Charlotte is a very intelligent woman with her own hurts from the past, which is why she holds part of herself back but she is still willing to extend a hand of friendship to those around her. There is a strength about her too that is visible to those around her, even when she is shaking in her boots.

Stone is a man who always gets what he is going after. When he is faced with something he never expected he does what any honorable, law abiding person would do and that is take things one step at a time. When things are not as he expected he waited for things to be come clear before he moved one way or the other for it is just who he is. Then once he makes a decision, he sticks to it with his whole heart. I have to say that his final mission really had a lot to say about what his true character is.

I truly hope all of those who pick up this book will enjoy it as much as I did. I would recommend blocking out as much time as possible to read this book so that there are the fewest possible interruptions for those interruptions might get on your nerves. My cat can attest to that for he got locked out of my reading room so I could enjoy the book in peace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment