Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"Wolf Creek Father" by Penny Richards

About the Book 

A Wife for the Sheriff? 
 
Schoolteacher Allison Grainger loves educating the children of Wolf Creek, Arkansas. She's nearly at her wit's end, though, when it comes to Sheriff Colt Garrett's two unruly youngsters. But when Allison is forced to work with the prickly lawman, the handsome widower and his children prove to be both charming and the perfect complement to her own life.
 
Colt Garrett is too busy taming the West—and his children—to worry about the concerns of the only schoolteacher in Wolf Creek. That is, until he meets the striking Allison, whose infectious smile warms his heart. Could she be the mother figure his children have always wanted…and the wife he so longs for?

Buy "Wolf Creek Father" from Harlequin

This book was released in January 2015
This is a well loved library book that was used for the review


My Review

“Wolf Creek Father” by Penny Richards is another wonderful book centered in Wolf Creek, Arkansas, that ties in wonderfully with her other Wolf Creek books, but stands perfectly alone for it is with new characters who were only minor characters in the prior books. I didn't remember these lovely characters from the prior books, and I have to say that it is a shame, but made this book a wonderful stand alone book.

I have to say that this book was nothing like I expected it to be. Oh sure it seems as if the good ole sheriff and the schoolteacher are at each other throats until forced to work together, and with that I assumed certain things to happen along the way. Well there is a saying about assuming and it fits me with this book that is for sure, and I am glad that it didn't go the way I thought for this was such much better.  I must admit that the first kiss took me by complete and total surprise for that was something I never saw coming for I expected that first kiss to be in another form. I have to admit I love these types of first kisses, and more often than not I can see them coming a mile away, but this time it took me by complete surprise and I loved it.

It seemed as every time there seemed to be a step or two forward there were step backwards, or some left turn came out of no where. I cheered on one or both of the characters as they were struggling to get their problems under control while at other times I wanted to knock some sense into one or both of them. Then as things seem to finally start coming together, it seems as something would pop up and blow things out to the wind so that the story would keep going a little longer. I just couldn't put the book down for I wanted, almost needed to know what was going to happen next which resulted in being up a little (ok maybe a lot) past my bedtime again.

Allison is woman who has some issues to deal with and I can understand why she feels the way she does, but honestly at times she got on my nerves for she didn't seem to want to move on. Then again, at the same time I saw part of me in her, and maybe that is why she got on my nerves so much, to where maybe I need to start rethinking some things. I have to say that it is pretty remarkable when a reader can see a part of themselves in a fictional character for that character then becomes just that much more special to the reader. Her heart is there for anyone to see and it is a tender heart that is for sure, and yet she shows how human she is with the very first scene. I enjoyed seeing the different aspects to Allison for usually we only see a few sides of a character but here it seems like we see the whole Allison, warts and all.

Colt is a different type of man who is a breath of fresh air in my opinion. Here is a man who is determined to do what he thinks is best and ready to do so, while at the same time he is avoiding some pretty serious truths about himself. So yes he has his flaws and I loved how he had to confront those flaws. Colt is an honorable man, stubborn and at times completely blind, but none the less honorable. He loves his children and is willing to do what he must for them and his job, though it is not exactly easy for him at times. I so enjoyed when he becomes flustered and out of sorts that is for sure.

I really can't wait for the next book to come out, for in the author's note at the end of the book Ms. Richards hints as to whose story is coming next, and boy I have to say I can't wait for I was really hoping to hear one of those characters, for I think this character really deserves a happy ending. Now hearing who the hero and heroine is going to be I have to say that I have to say that both characters deserves that happy ending I love reading about. I so hope that all who read this book enjoys it as much as I did.

Other "Wolf Creek" Books

Wolf Creek Wedding
Wolf Creek Homecoming
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment